Posted by SkySitter (126.96.36.199) on August 30, 2000 at 02:20:16:
In Reply to: Re: Chinese Buddhism... posted by Mister Hebat on August 29, 2000 at 11:28:51:
: Dear Friends,
: If you learn more about Chinese beliefs it can be better to understand Buddhism in China.
: Because many festivals in Chinese Buddhism have tallied with the Chinese Culture. You should study the history of Buddhism in China, that (if I don't make mistake) entered China in time of Han Dinasty (Emperor Han Ming Ti).
: But in general the teaching of Buddhism in China same with the Buddhism in the other countries.
: There is a translation of Tripitaka, that preserved in Beijing (Beijing San Chang). One of the scripture: Ullambanapatra Sutra (Yu Lan Pen Cing) influenced the Chinese Culture very much, with the popular Yu Lan Pen (Ullambana Festival).
: Many Buddhist Deities have also Chinese name:
: Sakyamuni Buddha (Se Cia Mo Ni Fo)
: Amitabha Buddha (A Mi Tuo Fo)
: Bhaisajyaguru (Yao She Fo)
: Avalokitesvara Boddhisatva(Kuan Shi Yin Pusa/ Kuan Tzu Tzai Pusa)
: Manjushri Boddhisatva (Wen Shu Shi Li Pusa)
: Samantabadra Boddhisatva (Pu Sien Pusa)
: Mahastamaprapta Boddhisatva (Ta Si Ce Pusa)
: Kshitigarbha Boddhisatva/ Earth Store Boddhisatva (Ti Cang Wang Pusa)
: These Great Deities whorsipped also by the Taoist and Confucianist. This is a sample for interaction between traditional religions of China and Buddhism.
: Maybe this can help, please forgive me if I make a mistake.
: Mister Hebat
Well said. Allow me to re-organize the information a little bit differently (easy to remember).
In a Chines (Pureland) temple, there would be three Buddha statues.
(1) Vertical (by time): Amitabha Buddha (past Buddha), Sakyamuni Buddha (Buddha of the current "world"), Maitreya Buddha (the future Buddha).
(2) Horizontal (by space/location): Amitabha Buddha (west Pureland), Sakyamuni Buddha (Buddha of the current "world"), Bhaisajyaguru (Yao/Medicine She/Master Fo/Buddha, east Pureland).
Note that some would say Aksobhya Buddha for the east Pureland.
There are 5 major Boddhisattva:
(1) Boddhisattva Maitreya: metta, loving-kindness ("offering good stuff before you even know you need them")
(2) Boddhisattva Avalokitesvara: compassion, mercy ("removing bad stuff before you even realize the suffering")
(3) Boddhisattva Manjushri: wisdom
(4) Boddhisattva Samantabadra: practice
(5) Boddhisattva Kshitigarbha: comitment, conviction. ("Will not enter Buddhahood until the hells are all empty")
Post a Followup